SANDAG and Caltrans are currently working on bridge and safety
improvements on the Sweetwater River Bridge located along Interstate 805
(I-805) between Bonita Road in Chula Vista and State Route 54 (SR 54) in
National City. This work is expected to be completed by 2022.
I-805 South Express Lanes Project
Work began in June 2012 on the first phase of the I-805 South Express Lanes Project, a $1.1 billion effort to create a modern, new transportation backbone that will meet the future needs of travelers in our region. When finished, the project will offer new transportation choices, relieve traffic congestion, and improve the quality of life in South County.
- Built nearly eight miles of Carpool/High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes and ten sound walls between East Naples Street in Chula Vista and SR 94 in San Diego (completed 2014)
- Constructed a Direct Access Ramp (DAR), Transit Station and Park & Ride at East Palomar Street in Chula Vista that provides new travel choices for commuters (completed 2017)
- Added a northbound auxiliary lane and a southbound outside through lane along I-805 from State Route 54 (SR 54) to East Plaza Boulevard to accommodate the maneuvering of entering and exiting traffic (completed 2016)
- Constructed five additional sound wall segments along I-805 between East Naples Street and Bonita Road in Chula Vista (completed 2020)
- Constructing bridge and safety improvements between Bonita Road and SR 54 in National City (currently under construction and expected to be completed by 2022)
- Convert the HOV Lanes into Express Lanes to and construct an HOV direct connector between I-805 and Interstate 15 (I-15).
- Construct planned in-line transit stations built in the freeway median at East H Street in Chula Vista and East Plaza Boulevard in National City,
- Construct a northbound auxiliary lane between East Naples Street and Telegraph Canyon Road in Chula Vista along I-805 to extend the merging distance between on- and off-ramps
- Construct additional sound walls.
Construction of the second phase of improvements will be scheduled as funding becomes available.